Friday, October 26, 2007

A Preemptive Message from the Chief


I'm trying to stay one step ahead of the game. Right about now I'm thinking that you are thinking, "Why is he wasting his time writing a blog about searching for a job? Shouldn't he be out there looking harder for a job?" Well yes, and no.

When looking for a job is your full-time job, there needs to be some sort of relief. A hobby, if you will. So when I'm not checking out the classifieds or sending in resumes, or refreshing my e-mail a hundred times a day waiting for a response, this blog can fill the gap. Deep down I'm hoping that since I've started the "I can't find a job" blog, one might come my way. Sort of like deciding to walk after waiting for the bus for an hour only to see it whiz by 5 minutes after you set off on foot. I also felt that this website would be a cathartic experience. And it has been, so far. Plus, it's a lot cheaper than paying to see a shrink.

Finally, when a hunk of cheddar cheese in Somerset, England can have its own webcam, I don't feel a job-hunting blog is too bizarre. (Check it out - http://cheddarvision.tv/- last time I checked it had 1,637,813 views)

On another completely random note, I've been able to take in some great films this fall during this stint of unemployment. Matinee prices are unbeatable. I've been impressed with two Westerns that have recently come out. 3:10 to Yuma and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Both are well-told stories fantastically shot and acted. The Greeks may have had their battlefields and the Romans their coliseums, but the American contribution to the morality tale canon played out on the wide open spaces of the West. Both of these films are a must-see.

3:10 to Yuma



The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford





Now back to the point: I hope now that here I've preempted any un-American terrorist comments about why I've created this blog. Mission Accomplished.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brett, Brett, Brett... How could you possibly jump from the ancient civilisations of the Greeks and Romans to the Western?! It has played out all its great morality tales and now has been left with the final indignity: Brad Pitt.