Friday, November 2, 2007

The Silence is Deafening

First off, thanks so much for the great response about the blog. Glad to hear that all of you are doing well and staying out of trouble (for the most part) wherever you are. I've recognized I've strayed a bit from the "job hunt" theme at times, but why not?

This is definitely not a place to whine and complain, but I couldn't let this one go. I'm up to around 30 applications submitted to various think tanks, non-profits, and research organizations in the area. It's a fairly simple process.

1. Find opening

2. Write cover letter

3. Re-check the resume

4. Compile a writing samples (if necessary)

5. Attach to e-mail

6. Click "send"

And then my e-mail goes wherever e-mails go after you send them off. Unfortunately, it seems most of my e-mails end up in the trash heap of history (aka "the human resources department" of most of these places).

Now I certainly don't mind getting rejected. There are hundreds, if not thousands of people out there sending in applications, many of whom are probably better qualified than I am (though I like to think not).

All I'm asking for is a response...that you (non-profit/NGO/think-tank/museum) received my damn application.

I'm no computer whiz, but I don't think it's too difficult for these people to put an automatic kick-back response that says "yes, we received your application and recognize you exist."

I think I've received about three of these auto responses throughout the whole process, which I really do appreciate. Here's one (I've taken out the name of the organization - still waiting to hear from them):

"Thank you for expressing interest in the ********* internship program. We have received your internship application for the Spring 2008. In the next few weeks, we will be reviewing your materials to determine if your qualifications and background match our needs for the upcoming semester. Please do not respond to this email.If you have any questions, please contact us using the Message Center. Again, thank you for your interest in *********.

The Office of Human Resources"

Wow. That was really nice. I think I'm blushing. Getting a message from an e-mail robot can really go a long way for the self-esteem.

Anyhow, it's better than the tumbleweed which is currently blowing through my inbox. What is tumbleweed anyhow?

No comments: