Friday, August 15, 2008

I Almost Dropped My Dinner

Remember those scary times a few months ago when there was a big concern that Hillary Clinton supporters would either not show up in November or vote for John McCain after it became clear that Barack Obama would secure the nomination? All we heard about then were nightmare scenarios and people planning to move to Canada and so on. As the Democrats head into the convention in two weeks, it seems, however, that the party is extremely united and energized around Obama (as they should be). But no, there are still some Hillary supporters out there who - going against the wishes of "their candidate"- are still attempting to derail Senator Obama's campaign.

I was cooking dinner last night with Hardball on in the background when I heard this interview session with Will Bower of Just Say No Deal and Darragh Murphy of People United Means Action. (I know I've included links to their organizations, but they really aren't worth your time).



Now, I am all for believing in a cause and sticking to your guns, but what are these two thinking? It is borderline treason what they are saying two weeks to Denver. The time for debate and discussion has ended and it is now time to rally around the Democratic candidate for the showdown in November. Murphy really sums up her madness at minute 5:33 with, [I would accept a McCain presidency] "because it will change the leadership of the DNC." She continues: "All I care about is the Democratic party, the democratic process, and Democratic voters."

I almost dropped my dinner. With that attitude she should have just said, "It became necessary to destroy the village in order to save it." But we all know how Hillary feels about villages. In all seriousness, though, it's time to unite not only the Democrats, but other Americans who believe that now is the moment for a new direction in American leadership - one that promotes peace, security, and hope not only throughout the world, but here in the United States, as well.

Hillary Clinton has done a fantastic job in supporting Obama since she dropped out of the race in June. I would hope all of her former supporters would do the same. As I wrote a few months ago, let's get it together, Dems. There's too much at stake this time.

No comments: