Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Under the City

Most of us spend a lot of time beneath the streets of Washington, DC. Whether heading to work, going to a Nats game, off for a few drinks, or out to see a movie, the Metro gets us to where we need to go. But most of the time, we are either in such a rush or so engrossed in our newspaper or entranced by the song on our iPod that we don't really take the time to look around us. Fortunately, one of DC's rising amateur photographers recently focused her lens on the Foggy Bottom station as two trains were passing each other, capturing a fantastic image of what for that girl on the bench might have seemed like just another passing second at a train station:

Say what you will about the Metro system's failures (and I've said a lot), those underground stations are pretty neat looking places and this photo proves it. I've always pictured them in my mind as a possible set for a futuristic neo-noir film, what with all those geometric shapes and interesting shadows.

My parents went to college in Washington before they built the Metro system but I can't even comprehend getting around the city without a subway. "How did you do it?," I asked my dad. "We used to hitch-hike to class sometimes," he said. Very Edgy. And while it might have worked in 1972, I won't take my chances today.

Anyhow, next time you're underground take a moment to really look around...and just be happy you aren't in a stranger's car.

Thanks to Amanda for allowing me to post her photo. You can check out her great photograpy blog here.

***UPDATE*** This post has been featured on the DC Blogs Noted page. Thanks again for another shout-out!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Thanks again, Brett - I was pretty lucky to capture this shot!

Anonymous said...

Hitchiking + DC... not used in a sentence together in decades! It's hard to imagine a time without public transportation here. But I've only been in this area for 17 years!