Sunday, November 16, 2008

Brian Williams Embarrasses Himself

For being one of Time's most 100 influential people, newscaster Brian Williams sure knows how to make a fool of himself.

Many of you know my Sunday weakness for the free Parade magazine stuffed in the newspaper with the comics and Best Buy ads. Today as I opened up the Post, I saw Brian Williams staring up at me on the cover of Parade with the goofiest grin on his face and a slice of pizza in his hand:

"What America Eats" it reads on the cover. And apparently, Brian Williams is an expert. Where were his handlers and publicist on this one? In an additional article titled "I'm Blissfully in Love With Food Courts," Williams writes:

My problem is limiting the choices. I will do a slice at Sbarro, or I’ll go to A&W—their cheeseburgers are underrated, and need I say more about a cold mug of frosty root beer? Cinnabon exhaust fumes have a hold over me like crack cocaine would over an addict. And when I’m on the road and see that friendly Arby’s, Cracker Barrel, or Waffle House sign, it might as well read, “Brian, Welcome Home.”

I've always been slightly put off by Williams ever since he replaced Tom Brokaw on the NBC Nightly News. I've never really taken to the guy and after seeing that ridiculous picture (there's an even better one in the print version of the story with coffee and a doughnut) and reading his I-love-Cinnabon article, I don't think I ever will.

To read Williams' full story (and you know you want to), click here.

2 comments:

tatiana said...

You see, this is how we differ. Because a grown man proclaiming his love of food courts- only makes me love him more.

Anonymous said...

This is the kind of thing Stephen Colbert would have a field day-- and they're friends.