Thursday, November 29, 2007

Don't Mess With Charlie Wilson's War

I just finished reading George Crile's Charlie Wilson's War. I know, I know. Pretty much everyone has read this book already, but better late than never. Plus, I wanted to finish it before the film comes out next month. Simply put, it is phenomenal.

Speaking of the film, to quote Anderson Cooper from last night's Republican YouTube / CNN debate, "What's up with that?" (He was refering to Fred Thompson's campaign ad, I'm refering to the Charlie Wilson's War trailer and promo poster).

I'm suspicious of the casting first of all. Philip Seymour Hoffman could pull off a good Gust Avrokotos. He's a very diverse actor that can morph into so many different roles. Fine. But Tom Hanks, the all-American guy next door playing Congressman Charlie Wilson, the binge-drinking, woman-chasing, belly-dancing-loving, potentially-crack-snorting-in-a-hot-tub-in-Vegas Texan? I feel it will take a major suspension of disbelief to pull that off. And then there's Julia Roberts as Joanne Herring. Just throw her in for the heck of it? Star attraction? We'll see. Take a look at the preview. It seems they are trying to make a pseudo-comedy out of a very serious time in our nation's Cold War policy whose effects we are still feeling today. Sure, there were many wild, fun, and unbelievable episodes in the book, but I hope the film will not be just a mere caricature of the man.



Finally, "what's up with the promo poster?" I admit grammar isn't my favorite subject, but isn't it missing a "?" after "empire" (?) Either way, we'll have to wait and see until Christmas whether they pulled it off. I hope they did - it's a great story that deserves a great telling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i can't believe you quoted anderson cooper. i knew you'd finally come around!