Thursday, December 13, 2007

Déjà Vu All Over Again

I spent the day glued to ESPN and the internet to keep tabs on the Mitchell steroids report and the subsequent fallout from the findings. Luckily none of my favorites were implicated (whew!), but I had a "déjà vu" moment this afternoon once the report was posted on the web. Scrolling through the document - over 300 pages - reminded me of a time when another juicy (no pun intended) report was released to the public.

Remember September 1998 when the Starr Report hit the web? I vividly remember digging through it searching for "the best" parts and snickering online with my friends about some of the passages. "He did what with what where?!" I don't apologize for the immaturity, I was still in high school. Checking out today's Mitchell report and seeing the evidence of signed checks and anecdotes about steroid use was in some ways no less shocking, however. Public figures, which we hold in such high esteem, just aren't supposed to do these things, right?

At least no big current Sox players implicated. Mo Vaughn is from a few years back and Eric Gagné is already out the door to the Brewers, thankfully. All I can say is the way he pitched for Boston this season, I don't think he was taking vitamins, let alone steroids. And Brendan Donnelly was a bit of a no-show this year with injuries. Can't say the same thing about the Yankees, though. Sorry, kids.

Here's the report in its entirety - makes good bathroom reading:

1 comment:

tatiana said...

i actually did write that party etiquette post. you can check it out here:

http://rizado.blogspot.com/2007/12/party-etiquette-101.html