Sunday, December 9, 2007

Happy Birthday, Joshua Tree

This year marks the 20th anniversary of U2's legendary The Joshua Tree album. It is hard to believe that it has been two decades since "Where the Streets Have No Name," "With or Without You," and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" first hit the airways. While my obsession with U2 peaked in high school, I still appreciate their music and the consistency of their recordings throughout their career. I've also got a few good "U2 inspired" memories from over the years. Here are a few of my favorites:

- Seeing U2 from about 15 rows back at the Continental Airlines Arena in June, 2001. Originally, we had absolutely horrible seats to see them in Philadelphia. My buddy went online and ends up contacting some guy who was willing to swap our horrible tickets for his floor seats in New Jersey. Supposedly he "had to see them in Philly." Long story short, my friend ends up meeting this complete stranger at a mall to exchange the tickets. Sketchy, for sure. But who cares?
- Going to a Salmon Rushdie lecture at Trinity College because there was a rumor Bono would be in attendance. Supposedly they are good friends. So I saw Salmon Rushdie, but was staring at Bono the whole time instead.
- Sneaking into the Clarence Hotel in Dublin (owned by Bono and the Edge) to use their restroom on a night out on the town. If you have to go, why not go in style?
- Taking a silly, yet fun duck boat tour of Dublin with some Irish friends which floated past U2's studio down near the Docklands

In honor of the milestone, U2 has released a new edition of the album with B-Sides, rare tracks, and a booklet. A perfect stocking-stuffer perhaps?

So happy 20th, Joshua Tree. Enjoy the video. Amazing how the band and Las Vegas have changed over the years.

Actually, I think we all have.

No comments: